Sunday, January 2, 2011

ByE ByE HoNg KoNg, mY NeW FoUnD FrieNd :)

...Lo aNd BeHoLd...

I spent 4 nights it this city which I now choose to call the city of dreams. Whatever stereotypes of HongKongers I heard about were not nearly as justified as observed by me. People were amazingly nice. The moment I spoke in Mandarin, people smiled at me and gladly came to my aid. Yesterday, an auntie scolded a couple for occupying four seats and forced them to donate one seat to me at an eatery. During the New Year countdown, some HongKongers of nearly my age, offered me a drink and made friends with me, even though they barely knew a few words of English and I knew no Canto. Arms around my shoulder, we counted down together. With people like this around how can one not feel at home?

On day 1, I spent the entire day in Kowloon. Tremendous places to shop and dine at, but I shall not elaborate and bore. Day 2 was spent in the magical world that is Disneyland. The Disney-day came to an end with me amidst hundreds or even thousands of people, all at Victoria harbour- Making noise, ushering in the new year. On day 3, I explored some of the New Territories and Hong Kong Island. Today, I went back to Kowloon out of nostalgia for its people and am now at the airport.

HongKong's food is no disappointment. Everything I heard about the amazing dimsum is true. For some reason all food either melts in your mouth, or flows smoothly down the gullet. Such is the fine cuisine. I gorged on egg tarts every single day, smooth and creamy- the best ever. Dim Sum with Jenny was sheer delight. What more can I say? You have to eat it to believe it :)

Accommodation here was a hassle. Expensive and small. Imagine having to bathe with one foot in the sink and one foot in the toilet bowl. Such was almost the case. Looking back, the people and the food made up for every fault.

Next stop, Phuket with Weiyang and Jelvin. Goodbye, my new found friend... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment